Every kind of travel is different. Since you have been doing it many times in your life, you probably have become an expert in one-hour suitcase packing. There are many guides and articles in magazines what shall we take on a summer vacation, sightseeing trip or winter getaway. But there are not much information what should you take on your medical travel, and probably you do not have much experience either. Many factors may disturb you from focusing on the packing – first is your health condition – you are probably suffering from pain or discomfort. Probably you have never been in the situation like this before – any expertise in this field. Your excitement and anxiety, as well as all of the paperwork, may also impede this earthly duty. Luckily, we do have some knowledge about which items are essential during your medical travel. Underneath you can find a list of necessary things you need to prepare, remember, check and pack to spend a successful and stress-free treatment holidays.
We have divided the list into three sections: general decision-making, what to prepare before you go and what to take with you.
What shall I prepare for my medical travel?
- Check if your passport is valid and if you need a visa to travel to the destination country.
- Whether you will pay by cash or card make sure you have enough money and some additional cash in local currency. Call your bank or card insurer and forewarn that you are planning to make a large payment abroad as otherwise, they may treat it as suspicious and block your account.
- Ensure that you have a contact data to your clinic, your transport provider, your Patient assistant.
- Talk with your boss about the absence.
- Check the country weather forecast and prepare yourself.
- Organize a help with your puppy, your child, your parents when you are abroad.
- If you are traveling to an exotic country, it might be necessary to get a vaccination.
- Remember to book your term in the clinic and pay the reservation fee if needed. Double check the dates.
- Buy a proper flight ticket. Make sure someone will pick you up from the airport.
- Wash away your nail polish – the color of nail plate says a lot about your health condition
What shall I take with me?
- Your mobile phone with a charger- in case your flight got delayed, and you need to contact your Assistant or Family.
- Your personal documents, ID card, passport, Visa.
- Your credit/debit card, some additional local currency cash
- Your medical record, GP recommendation if needed, all of the imaging diagnosis outcomes, older physical tests, previous discharge papers, your RH blood test
- A number and personal data of the person you are going to authorize to your medical record
- MP3 player with earphones in case you would like to relax
- One or two nice books, some magazines, e-book, audio book (sometimes you will spend up to 2 weeks in the clinic)
- Your daily medicines in original packages, information about your chronic diseases, about your allergies + eye drops and candies for a flight.
- Pajamas, bathrobe – make sure your clothes are comfortable for your type of medical procedure – if you have a knee surgery shorts will be much better than long trousers, for a shoulder operation blazer with the zipper it more comfortable.
- Comfortable underwear, socks
- Shoes to walk around the clinic – if you are undergoing plastic or another upper-body surgery, then you may take slippers. In the case of the orthopedic procedure, please bare in mind that you need some more stable footwear – trainers.
- Basic set of cosmetics (soap, shampoo, brush and toothpaste, deodorant, comb, sanitary pads, shaving equipment + a sponge, hair band, lip balm, face water spray,
- A set of clothes for your physiotherapy and rehabilitation – depending on your surgery – tracksuit, pair of sneakers
- Depending on the course of hospitalization and your plans – if you are planning to undergo a laser vision correction or dental treatment you may be willing to do some sightseeing afterward, then some casual clothes and comfortable shoes might be needed. If you are coming to undergo a hip replacement, you will probably need just some comfortable loose trousers, two set of pajamas, blazer, elastic shorts.
- You may take your favorite small pillow as well.